(HURON EAST, ON) – Huron County Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) has charged a South Huron resident with Impaired Operation, drug possession offences, and several other criminal offences after a complaint was reported to police on Tuesday, December 26th, 2023.
Huron OPP officers were dispatched to a location on Kippen Road in the Municipality of Huron East at 7:30 p.m. on December 26th. A witness called police after they observed a person believed to be under the influence seated in the driver’s seat of a vehicle that had left the roadway and entered the west ditch. Officers located the involved vehicle and spoke to the driver who displayed signs of impairment. Officers had reason to believe that the driver was impaired by drug, and they were subsequently arrested. Throwing knives and controlled substances were located inside the vehicle.
The accused was then transported to the Huron OPP Detachment in Clinton for further tests by an OPP Drug Recognition Expert (D.R.E.).
Mitchell HARRIS, 35 years-of-age from South Huron has been charged with the following offences:
– Operation while Impaired – Alcohol and Drugs,
– Operation while Prohibited,
– Possession of a Controlled Substance – Fentanyl,
– Possession of a Controlled Substance – Methamphetamine,
– Possession of a Controlled Substance – Methylphenidate,
– Occupant of motor vehicle knowing there was Prohibited or Restricted Weapon,
– Fail to Comply with Probation Order – (four counts).
The accused was additionally charged with driving while under suspension, an offence found in the Highway Traffic Act (HTA).
The involved vehicle was towed and impounded for seven days.
The accused was held for a bail hearing, then later released from custody with a court appearance scheduled at the Ontario Court of Justice – Goderich on February 12th, 2024.