(THAMES CENTRE, ON) – On August 5, 2023, at 1:40 p.m., a Middlesex County Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) member, while on general patrol on Dorchester Road in Thames Centre, was alerted by the Automatic Licence Plate Recognition (ALPR) system, of a possible suspended driver.
The vehicle left the roadway and entered a parking lot at which time a traffic stop was initiated.
The driver of the vehicle became resistant and assaultive, at which time a member of the public assisted the officer with gaining control of the individual.
A search of the driver revealed a loaded handgun, which had previously been reported stolen by Chatham Kent Police.
As a result, Troy WATSON a 30-year-old of London, has been charged under the Criminal Code, Highway Traffic Act, Cannabis Control Act and Liquor Licence Control Act with:
- Assault with intent to resist arrest
- Carrying concealed weapon
- Unauthorized possession of a prohibited or restricted firearm
- Possession of loaded prohibited or restricted firearm
- Possession of Weapon for Dangerous Purpose
- Knowledge of Unauthorized Possession of Firearm
- Possession Property Obtained by Crime Under $5,000 – in Canada
- Driving while under suspension
- Drive vehicle or boat with cannabis readily available
- Driving motor vehicle with liquor readily available
The accused was held for bail.
The In Car Camera and ALPR have been operating in Middlesex County OPP vehicles since March 13, 2023. Middlesex OPP officers continue to see drivers operating vehicles that do not have valid, registered licence plates, are currently driving unlicenced, while under suspension or prohibited.
Although vehicle owners are not required to purchase a validation sticker for their vehicle, licence plates are still required to be renewed annually or bi-annually. The Middlesex OPP wants you to know that driving a vehicle with expired validation carries a set fine of $110.
The OPP can be reached anywhere in the Province of Ontario at 1-888-310-1122.
If you wish to remain anonymous you can contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) where you may be eligible for a cash reward of up to $2000.