(WELLINGTON NORTH, ON) –On January 18, 2023, the Wellington County Ontario Provincial Police received a report of a fraud.
It was reported that over a period of six months, the victim who resides in Wellington North Township had invested approximately $500,000 with a fraudulent online crypto currency investment firm.
The Wellington County OPP would like to encourage residents to always do a preliminary background check before making any investments in or with a company.
Below are some useful tips from the Canadian Anti Fraud Centre:
1. Prior to investing, ask for information on the investment
2. Research the team behind the offering and analyse the feasibility of the project
3. Verify if the investment companies are registered with your provincial securities agency or the National Registration Search Tool
4. Be wary of individuals met on dating sites or social media who attempt to educate and convince you to invest
5. If you receive a suspicious message from a trusted friend, reach out to them through a different means of communication to confirm that it is them.
An employee from your financial institution would also be able to provide guidance when it comes to legitimate investment platforms.
The Wellington County Crime Unit is continuing to investigate and is asking that anyone with any information regarding this incident can contact the Wellington County OPP at 1-888-310-1122 or, if you wish to remain anonymous, contact Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or submit a tip online at www.csgw.tips. You may be eligible for a reward from Crime Stoppers of up to $2,000.