(KINCARDINE, ON) – The Grey Bruce Community Street Crimes Unit (CSCU) and the South Bruce Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) have made an arrest and recovered stolen property less than 13 hours after a break and enter was reported.
On August 30, 2022, at 7:14 a.m., The South Bruce OPP responded to a report of a break and enter to a local business on Queen Street in Kincardine.
Later in the afternoon, members from the Grey Bruce CSCU executed a search warrant at a property located on South Street in Kincardine. During the execution of the warrant, a quantity of property stolen from the break and enter was located and recovered.
At 7:32 p.m., the suspect in this matter was located in the downtown Kincardine core and they were placed under arrest.
The South Bruce OPP have charged James MERRITT, 27 years-of-age, from Kincardine with the following offences:
· Break, enter a place – commit indictable offence
· Failure to comply with undertaking
· Theft over $5,000
· Possession of property obtained by crime under $5,000 – in Canada
· Possession of property obtained by crime under $5,000 – outside Canada
· Fail to comply with probation order
The accused was held pending a bail hearing at the Ontario Court of Justice in Walkerton on August 31, 2022.