(LEAMINGTON, ON) – On February 2, 2021, at approximately 11:50 p.m., members from the Leamington Detachment of the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) were on general patrol and conducted a traffic stop on a vehicle for a stop sign offence.
Officers spoke with the driver and passenger and found evidence of an offence under the Cannabis Act. A search of the vehicle discovered several separately packaged items, including cannabis and cannabis derivatives, including edibles and shatter. Officers also seized a scale, packaging material, and a quantity of cash.
As a result of the investigation, Leah MEDCALF, 18 years of age of Leamington has been charged with the following offences:
- Possessing Cannabis for the purpose of selling – Cannabis Act (CA)
- Have care and control of a vehicle with cannabis readily available (CA)
- Possession of a Schedule I substance for the Purpose of Trafficking – cocaine- contrary to Section 5(2) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act (CDSA)
- and a Highway Traffic Act (HTA) offence
Kenzin RICE, 18 years of age of Leamington, Ontario, has been charged with the following offences:
- Possession of a Schedule I Substance for the Purpose of Trafficking – cocaine -contrary to Section 5(2) of the CDSA
- Possessing Cannabis for the Purpose of Selling – (CA)
- Obstruct Peace Officer – Criminal Code of Canada (CC)
Both accused are scheduled to appear in the Ontario Court of Justice in Leamington on April 12, 2021.
Anyone with information regarding this or any other incident is asked to call the OPP at 1-888-310-1122. Should you wish to remain anonymous, call Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-8477 (TIPS) or leave an anonymous online message at www.catchcrooks.com where you may be eligible to receive a cash reward of up to $2,000.